Wedding ceremony in College garden
-A +A

Legal Formalities

Before a ceremony can take place all couples must contact the Oxfordshire Registration Service.

Both parties must personally attend the register office for the district(s) where you live and give notice of your marriage to the Superintendent Registrar.

How far in advance can a booking be made?

A notice of marriage is valid for 12 months only, so you shouldn't give notice of marriage to the Registrar more than 12 months before the date of your marriage. However, it may be possible for you to make an advance (provisional) booking with the Registrar of the district where you wish to marry 12 months before the ceremony.

The earlier you arrange to book the marriage, the more likely it is that you will get your preferred date and time. The Oxfordshire Registration Service will be able to give you more precise information about this.

Your marriage cannot go ahead unless the formalities have been completed.