Working in the Library
-A +A


All matriculated members of the College receive an Examination Regulations book at the start of their course. This is a large book which contains the details of general regulations and also the specific requirements for each course. You don't need to read it all, but it should be kept safe for reference throughout your degree. This book contains important information about the examination papers that are available, how they are assessed, and the deadlines for any coursework submissions. It's also available online.

About two weeks before the deadline for entering any examination an exam entry form will be put in your pigeon hole. This must be returned to the College Office by the date specified on the covering note. Failure to meet the deadline for exam entries will result in a late entry fee. Full details of the exam entry process are in the Grey Book, and the University entry deadlines are available from the link on the right.

If you are at all unsure about which options you wish to take, or what is permitted under the regulations for your course, please speak to your tutor. You'll need to make a decision on options by the exam entry date for your subject. Options can be changed at a later date, but the University charges a fee for this so you should make every effort to enter for the correct options the first time.

University exams and illness

We understand that exams can be very stressful and that health and psychological problems can affect performance. If you fall ill and feel that you will be unable to sit all or part of your exams you should notify your tutor and the College Office immediately. You'll also need to see the College Doctor in order to obtain a medical certificate which can be forwarded to the examiners. If you have only missed one or two papers it's possible the examiners will be able to assess your performance based on the papers which you have managed to sit.  If you've missed a larger number or all of the papers then you will probably need to resit the exams the following year.

In cases of more minor illness which do not prevent you sitting the exam, but you feel have affected your revision and/or your exam performance, you are advised to consult the College Doctor and request a medical certificate as soon as possible. Please bring this to the College Office, who can forward it to the Proctors for possible consideration by the Examiners.

Exam preparation and revision

You may find it useful to listen to a series of three podcasts, ‘Exam Preparation and Revision’, put together by University's Counselling Service. These deal with getting into the right mind-set, planning and revision, and the exam itself. St Edmund Hall's Dean also gives a talk every Hilary Term called 'Managing Finals' with revision tips and other practical information (notes from the presentation can be found on WebLearn here).

If you are facing any difficulties, you can find out more about the welfare and support available to you here.

Alternative examination arrangements

The Proctors have set deadlines in the year when they need to be notified of any alternative arrangements students require for examinations, owing to:

  • Specific learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia)
  • Any known long-term disability, or long-term injury, which may give rise to alternative arrangements (such as extra time in examinations, the need for exams to be sat in a different location, special equipment or medication in the exam room)
  • Candidates who are forbidden for religious reasons from taking papers on days that coincide with religious festivals/holidays.

A notice will be displayed at the start of Michaelmas Term on the Notice Board and will be circulated by email detailing the deadlines for notifying the College Office about any alternative exam arrangements. However, assessments for alternative arrangements (e.g. educational psychologist assessments for dyslexia or dyspraxia) take time, and so it's important to alert the University’s Disability Advisory Service and the College Office of any suspected learning difficulty as soon as possible, so that the necessary assessments can be made and so that you're 'in the system’. 

Residency requirements

You're required to be in residence in Oxford for 42 nights per term in order to qualify for your degree. Dispensation for illness or other good cause can be sought from the University by providing the necessary details to the College Office. If you need to be absent from College during term-time, please consult the Grey Book (which can be found on WebLearn) to find out who will need to give permission.