A variety of major and minor course options are available, covering both European and Anglo-American cinema. Visiting students may opt to study French films in the original, or in translation. The course will be available during Hilary and Trinity terms.
Major, eight-tutorial film options include:
- European cinema
- Theory and film
Minor, four-tutorial film options include:
- Introduction to French cinema (unavailable from 2021-23)
- Child Figures in World Cinema (Pan’s Labyrinth; Rome, Open City; The White Ribbon; Forbidden Games)
- Postmodern cinema (unavailable from 2021-23)
- Jean-Luc Godard (unavailable from 2021-23)
- Rainer Werner Fassbinder (in translation) (unavailable from 2021-23)
- Christian Petzold
- Michael Haneke
- European Cinema (Michael Haneke (dir.), Hidden (Caché, 2005), Roberto Rossellini (dir.), Rome, Open City (Roma città aperta, 1945), Guillermo del Toro (dir.), Pan’s Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno, 2006), Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (dir.), The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen, 2006), Christian Petzold (dir.), Barbara (2012)).
Other cinema options may be offered. A complete list will be available in Michaelmas Term. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to consider requests for courses not on the list.
- Biomedical Sciences
- Comparative Literature
- Earth Sciences (Geology)
- English Language and Literature
- Film Studies
- French Language and Literature
- Materials Science
- Politics and International Relations